SUMMER and FALL 2018 TALKS:
I will be speaking at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific meeting in Sonoma, CA, Sept. 10-13 in a special session on Indigenous Knowledge in the 21st Century with my wonderful colleagues and collaborators Dr. Nancy Maryboy (Indigenous Education Institute, and University of Washington), Dr. David Begay (Indigenous Education Institute, and University of New Mexico), Dr. Isabel Hawkins (San Francisco Exploratorium), Dr. Kim Coble (San Francisco State), and Ka’iu Kimura (‘Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawai’i). The session will begin with taking a moment to honor Dr. Paul Coleman (University of Hawaiʻi Institute for Astronomy) who passed away at this home in January 2018. Dr. Coleman was the first Native Hawaiian with a doctorate in astrophysics.
- I was at the summer AAS meeting (AAS 232) in Denver, CO, June 3-7, speaking in multiple scientific and diversity/inclusion sessions. For a full list of AAS 232 diversity/inclusion sessions, see HERE.
AAS 232 talks I gave:
Monday June 4, 102.05, 11:30 AM in Governor’s Square 10, Near-Field Cosmology with Low-Mass Galaxies: Constraining the Escape of Radiation from the UV-slopes of Local Galaxies
Monday June 4, 114.04, 3:38 PM in Plaza Ballroom D, A window on first-stars models from studies of dwarf galaxies and galactic halo stars
Chairing Special Session on Indigenous Knowledge in 21st Century Science, Tuesday June 5, 10:40-12:10, Governor’s Square 16. This session is sponsored by the CSMA and CSWA, with confirmed speakers and topics very similar to the ASP 2018 meeting session above.
Special Session on Decadal Survey Preparations: State of the Profession, Wed. June 6, 10:40-12:10, Governor’s Square 10: Impact of harassment/racism on retention and health
Please also see Equity and Inclusion part of this site for recent talks on those topics.
- Colloquium, SF State, San Francisco, CA, May 2017
- Seminar, UC Davis, Davis, CA, Oct. 2016
- Talk at the Aspen Center for Physics conference on The Reionization Epoch: New Insights and Future Prospects, Aspen, CO, March 2016
- Nucleosynthesis Issues for the Circumgalactic Medium: Abundance Patterns in Halo Stars and Dwarf Galaxies, Aspen Center for Physics workshop on “The Physics of Accretion and Feedback in the Circumgalactic Medium”, Aspen, CO, July 2015
- The Cosmological Role of Dwarf Galaxies, 2014 Santa Fe Cosmology Workshop, July 2014
- Seminar, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, Jan. 2014
- Talk at the annual Undergraduate ALFALFA Team Workshop, Arecibo Observatory, Puerto Rico, Jan. 2014
- Talk at the American Astronomical Society Meeting, Washington, D.C., Jan. 2014
- Seminar, Raman Research Institute, Bangalore, India, March 2013
- Colloquium, Institute of Astronomy, Honolulu, HI, Nov. 2012
- Galaxy Lunch Seminar, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, Oct. 2012
- Talk at the American Astronomical Society Meeting, Anchorage, AL, June 2012
- Benjamin Dean Lecture, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA, May 2012
- Seminar, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, October 2011
- Talk at the 2011 Santa Fe Cosmology Summer Workshop, Santa Fe, NM, July 2011
- Seminar, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, April 2011
- Talk at the American Astronomical Society Meeting, Seattle, WA, January 2011
- Talk for the Peninsula Astronomical Society, Mountain View, CA, Sept. 2010
- Talk at the meeting “From First Light to Newborn Stars”, Tucson, AZ, March 2010
- Colloquium, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, February 2010
- Talk for the San Francisco Amateur Astronomers, San Francisco, CA, February 2010
- Talk at the American Astronomical Society Meeting, Pasadena, CA, June 2009
(past 5 years listed above, please see academic CV for more talks)